Sometimes all you can manage is a chicken breast and that is fine too.....
This is the tastiest, speediest mid-week supper option around. It's so quick in fact that I am resisting the urge to wax lyrical about the joys of juicy sticky chicken, simply so we can get to the nitty gritty faster. Rest assured, that's a sacrifice I am only willing to make for a fast meal that still comes packed with flavour, which this one does...
o 4 chicken breasts with skin on and bone in (that's where the flavour is at)
o Salt & freshly ground black pepper
o 2 garlic cloves, chopped
o 3 tbsps butter
o 1 tbsp olive oil
o A sprig of thyme
o 1/2 cup chicken stock
o 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
o A good squeeze of honey
o Parmesan cheese, shavings to serve
1. Once this recipe hits its stride, it's all systems go, so I suggest gathering all your ingredients, seasoning your chicken with salt & freshly ground black pepper and chopping up your garlic before you start cooking to ensure minimal fuss.
2. Heat two tablespoons of your butter along with the olive oil in a heavy-based, non-sick pan.
3. Add the seasoned chicken to the pan, skin side down and sear until brown (about 2 -3 minutes), then turn it over and brown the other side.
4. Add the remaining butter, then toss in the shallots, garlic and thyme, and cook until aromatic.
5. Deglaze with the chicken stock, being sure to stir in all the delicious browned bits and juices into the liquid. I love that smell!
6. Add the balsamic vinegar and honey. Let the sauce gently bubble away until reduced and slightly thickened.